Across the nation, April is celebrated as Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). This is a time for raising awareness of sexual assault and gender-based violence, as well as celebrating the strength of survivors, passion of advocates, and compassion of allies. In these unprecedented times, we are all adjusting our schedules and modifying routines because of COVID-19. As we are adapting to social distancing, the Center for Prevention and Education (CPE) is moving forward with virtual programming for April. It is important to reiterate our commitment to survivors, advocates, allies, and the educational components of SAAM. We look forward to hosting online events, and collaborations, engaging more with our community through social media, and shining a spotlight on others that were part of the SAAM planning for April 2020. We hope you will join us on Instagram and Facebook to support our virtual 2020 SAAM efforts.
Diploma Frame Giveaway
NSVRC Social Media Graphics
SAAM Coloring Pages
Please check back often for our virtual programming schedule and additional information.
April 7th – (Tuesday) – Show off your TEAL for “Day of Action”
- Did you know teal is the color of sexual assault awareness? Wear teal as a symbol of your support!
April 7th – (Tuesday) – Live on ZOOM between 7pm-9pm “Take Back the Net” with the Virginia Campus Task Force
- In honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, The Virginia Campus Task Force presents Take Back the Net, a virtual evening of support and healing for survivors and their allies. This form is for survivors who wish to verbally share their story in the virtual speak-out on zoom. Interested in speaking, learn more at Take Back the Net: Speaker Registration. [The Center for Prevention and Education & the Talley Center for Counseling Services are on the planning committee.]
- Zoom Link: https://cwm.zoom.us/j/652981691
April 9th – (Thursday) – SAAM Coloring Page for “Doing Your Part Though Art”
- Print and complete one of the SAAM coloring pages (listed below) or create your own.
April 13th – (Monday) – Live on ZOOM at 1pm “Quick Tips: Talking to A Survivor”
- It can be tough to know how to support a friend who has experienced a trauma. Join RCASA (Rappahannock Council Against Sexual Assault) to learn some quick tips in talking with and supporting survivors of sexual violence. (Information to access the zoom will be posted closer to the date.)
- Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/394068437
April 14th – (Tuesday) – Wreath of Ribbons for Get Crafty: DIY SAAM
- Everyone in our community has a role to play in preventing gender-based violence and supporting survivors. Help us create our action wreath!
- Answer the question “What can you do?” through our Instagram story. The responses will be added to our action wreath and uploaded around 8pm.
- Or create your own action wreath utilizing GIFs from NSVRC and a blank wreath. Visit our Instagram Story on April 14th at 1pm for additional information.
April 21st – (Tuesday) – “I Am Jane Doe” Netflix Watch Party at 7:30pm
- “I AM JANE DOE chronicles the legal battle that several American mothers are waging on behalf of their middle-school daughters, who were trafficked for commercial sex on Backpage.com, the adult classifieds section formerly owned by the Village Voice.” The trailer and additional information on the film can be found on the “I AM Jane Doe Film” webpage.
- Netflix and URL
- You will need access to a Netflix account. Netflix Party only works on a laptop/desktop computer.
- Participants will receive the URL for the Netflix Party on April 21st, the day of the “party.”
- Please complete the google form (Watch Party Registration: I Am Jane Doe) to receive the URL.
- If you have added a Netflix “free trial” account to participate in this event, please remember to disable it before 30 days or you will be billed by the streaming company.
- Netflix Party
- Netflix Party only works on a laptop/desktop computer through Chrome browsers.
- To install Netflix Party, start off by clicking the “Install Netflix Party” button on the Netflix Party webpage. Once you are redirected to the Chrome Web Store, click “Add to Chrome” to finish installing Netflix Party.
- To join a party click on the party URL, which will redirect to Netflix’s website. Then click on the “NP” button next to the address bar, and you should automatically join the party.
- Hosted by Central Virginia Justice Initiative, Germanna Community College, RCASA (Rappahannock Council Against Sexual Assault), and University of Mary Washington
April 29th – (Wednesday) – Denim Day
- Get your favorite jeans ready and join “millions of people across the world (to) wear jeans with a purpose, support survivors, and educate themselves and others about all forms of sexual violence.” Learn more at denimdayinfo.org.
Diploma Frame Giveaway
Participation guidelines: The guidelines for the National Sexual Violence Resource Center’s (NSVRC) #30DaysofSAAM are listed below. We encourage you to participate in their contest to win their prizes. But separately from that, we are running our own contest and by engaging with UMW’s SAAM 2020, you will be eligible to win the Center for Prevention and Education’s (CPE) grand prize.
Submissions for CPE’s grand prize must tag @UMWCPE on Instagram. Optional: use the hashtag #MaryWash for your post. If you participate in an event (see upcoming programs, listed above), you will receive information at the end for additional entries.
Prize and eligibility: Every time you participate in an event (see upcoming programs, listed above), pop-up Instagram challenges (showcased randomly on our Instagram story and/or feed throughout the month of April), or any of the #30DaysofSAAM prompts hosted by NSVRC, you will be entered to win the grand prize, a UMW Diploma frame. Only public accounts are eligible to win prizes and the winner must be a currently enrolled University of Mary Washington student. The name will be pulled after exam week (May 4-May 8). We will work with the winner to pick up the prize over the summer or during the fall semester. Seniors graduating in May are eligible to win.
This Instagram contest or giveaway is not sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with Instagram.
NSVRC Social Media Graphics
Want to change your background picture for Facebook? Make a post for Instagram? Or perhaps tweet to the world about recognizing SAAM? Check out NSVRC’s website to find graphics and videos to post to your social media.
SAAM Coloring Pages
Enjoy a coloring page to pass some time, practice self-care, or engage your artistic side. Don’t forget, if you post your coloring page on Instagram on April 9th, you will be entered to win the daily prize from @NSVRC and the grand prize (UMW diploma frame) from @UMWCPE.
- NSVRC SAAM 2020 Coloring Page
- NSVRC Believe Survivors Coloring Page
- NSVRC Believe and Support Survivors Coloring Page
- NSVRC I Ask for Consent Coloring Page
- NSVRC Your Voice Has Power Coloring Page
- NSVRC #MeToo Coloring Page
- NSVRC Spanish Coloring Page
#30DaysofSAAM Instagram Contest
National Sexual Violence Resource Center’s #30DaysofSAAM
“This April, show the world that you’re getting involved in Sexual Assault Awareness Month by participating in the national 7th annual #30DaysofSAAM. Respond to the daily prompts below with a photo on your Instagram account. A winner for each prompt will be chosen daily, and everyone who participates each day will be entered into the grand prize drawing at the end of the month.
Participation guidelines: Submission posts must tag @NSVRC. Posts must include #30DaysofSAAM and a hashtag identifying the prompt you’re responding to (i.e. #Day1, #Day2, etc). Posts can come from organizations or individuals. All types of posts are accepted including video, photos, digital artwork, photos of illustrations, collages, poems, etc. Posts MUST be original content (not reposted from somewhere else). Posts that feature thoughtful text descriptions will be given extra consideration. Every day you participate, you are entered to win the prompt prize that day. Only those that participate each day in April will be entered to win the grand prize at the end of the month.
Prizes and eligibility: Every day you participate, you are entered to win the daily prize pack. Only those that participate each day in April will be entered to win the grand prize at the end of the month. Only public accounts are eligible to win prizes. Winners’ posts will be featured on NSVRC’s Instagram page.”
Tag us on Instagram (@UMWCPE) to be entered to win Center for Prevention and Education’s grand prize (UMW diploma frame) at the end of the month. See diploma frame giveaway for additional information.
April 1 |At the Beginning of SAAM
Share a snapshot that captures your goals, hopes, and feelings about SAAM.
April 2 | 5 Things I Use to Prepare
Share some of the items you use to gear up for SAAM or use to practice self-care.
April 3 | Post With the Most: Hang a SAAM Poster
Print out a SAAM poster and hang it in your space or create your own.
April 4 | An Activist’s To-Do List
Share your personal, organizational, or community-wide goals for SAAM.
April 5 | Faceless Portrait of an Advocate and/or Survivor
Take a photo that is representative of your journey as a survivor or advocate but isn’t a selfie.
April 6 | Attention to Detail
Identify an overlooked but perhaps meaningful detail to shine a spotlight on.
April 7 | Day of Action — Show Off Your Teal
Wear teal and share a selfie. Be sure to cross-post on other social media platforms using #SAAM.
April 8 | Handwritten SAAM
Share a SAAM haiku, quote, sidewalk chalk drawing, or inspirational message in your own writing.
April 9 | Doing Your Part Through Art
Print and complete the SAAM coloring page or create your own. Take an artistic shot of your finished product!
April 10 |Bird’s Eye View
Take a photo of anything SAAM or consent related from above.
April 11 | An Activist’s Morning Routine
Capture your morning routine during SAAM — this might be a self-care practice, preparation for an online SAAM event, or some other related activity.
April 12 |My Message to Survivors
Share a message of support to survivors of sexual assault, harassment, and abuse.
April 13 | Spell It Out: S-A-A-M
Use objects to form the letters S-A-A-M and snap a photo.
April 14 | Get Crafty: DIY SAAM
Create your own SAAM teal ribbon, poster, or other craft.
April 15 | From a Distance
Literally or figuratively, what does SAAM look like from a distance?
April 16 | An Activist’s Desk
Give us a snapshot into some of the SAAM supplies, resources, or symbols in your world.
April 17 | My Tribute to a Hero
Send a message of thanks to someone in the public eye or someone in your own life who is working to end sexual violence.
April 18 | The Real Teal
Pay tribute to the color of sexual violence prevention with a photo or illustration of something teal.
April 19 | Self-Care Snack Exchange
Share your self-care snack or recipe ideas. The more creative the presentation, the better!
April 20 |During SAAM, I Am…
Reflect on your feelings during SAAM and find a way to capture them as creatively as possible.
April 21 | Everyday Consent is Normal & Necessary
Show us how asking for consent is a part of everyday interactions.
April 22 |When Pop Culture Gets It Right
Share your favorite positive examples of consent from pop culture including TV shows, movies, books, music, and more.
April 23 | Behind the Scenes & Outtakes
Share insight about what goes into a SAAM action or event but show us what goes on behind the scenes. Alternatively, you can respond by sharing outtakes from the contest.
April 24 | Teal Ribbon in the Wild
Find or place a teal ribbon somewhere in nature or somewhere unexpected.
April 25 | An Activist’s
What’s one item that has made your SAAM events or actions a success? Alternatively, what’s one self-care item you treasure?
April 26 |Black and White: Believing Survivors
We should all start by believing survivors. Show the world that believing survivors is a black–and-white issue with a black-and-white photo.
April 27 | In This Together – Words of Thanks
Share your appreciation for all other participants of the contest and those who are working hard throughout April with a message of thanks.
April 28 |Smile — Good Things are Happening
Share a selfie or other representation of your hope for a future free of sexual violence.
April 29 | Denim Day: Wear Jeans with a Purpose
Wear jeans to take a stand against victim blaming in honor of Denim Day. Head over
to denimdayinfo.org to learn more about the campaign.
April 30 | At the End of SAAM
Share a snapshot that captures your progress or reflections at the end of the month.