The Office of Diversity & Inclusion spearheads the university’s affirmative action and diversity efforts. As a part of that mission, it helps to prevent discrimination and harassment. We are committed to creating a university community that is representative and inclusive of individuals with different backgrounds, talents, and skills. We work to ensure that University of Mary Washington is a community where all faculty, staff, and students feel supported and affirmed. UMW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all applicable laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action in admissions, hiring, and all other programs and activities.
- Provide leadership and coordination for university’s efforts to enhance diversity and implement strategic plan;
- Provide leadership and coordination to departments and units across the university to facilitate the implementation of diversity strategies and actions;
- Assist, support, and monitor all units of the university in their efforts to recruit, hire, develop, and retain faculty, staff, and students from historically underrepresented groups;
- Coordinate educational training programs to foster a climate of respect and civility for all members of the campus community; and
- Provide training for executive and instructional faculty search committees.