The Office for Diversity and Inclusion will:
- Build institutional capacity for diversity through access, success, climate, intergroup relations, education, and scholarship.
- Develop, implement and coordinate a comprehensive strategic diversity plan to advance the Universities initiatives.
- Promote a climate that is welcoming and conducive to the success of all students, faculty, and staff.
- Infuse diversity into University practices, policies and programs to ensure equity and inclusion for all members of the community.
- Create an institutional culture in which the community engages in and grows stronger from open and honest dialogue.
- Foster commitment to diversity and inclusion as a shared community responsibility through collaboration and partnerships with all units and programs across the institution.
- Facilitate and encourage research to advance the University’s commitment to gaining knowledge of diverse communities in a local, national, and global context.
- Monitor and assess UMW’s diversity efforts for effectiveness, modify existing initiatives, identify new “best practices,” and publish reports and information for dissemination to the campus community.