*STP Summer 2021 Updates & Correspondences
Greetings all– the 2021 STP summer experience (i.e., Monday, July 12th-Friday, July 23rd) is almost here!
I’m excited to be back in-person for our annual pre-college experience and ensure you that it will safely provide the benefit for program participants to take two courses worth 3-credits altogether (this is an update), partake in various seminars and enrichment activities, and to begin acclimating to college life at UMW, while making some great friends in the process.
As we progress closer to July, please find below a few updates:
- The ‘Participant Forms’ section of our website has been updated to include three documents with pertinent information regarding the summer program (e.g., What to Bring, Rules & Regulations, Important Dates)
- The ‘Meet the Counselors’ page will be updated by the end of the week!
- STP participants will now be taking two courses during the summer experience
- Unvaccinated program participants will be required to complete an entry test during move-in on Sunday, July 11th and one additional prevalence test during week two of the program (Date TBD); this is an update from my last correspondence.
- Fully vaccinated people are not required to wear masks indoors or outdoors on UMW properties. However, over the summer, as members of our community are continuing to get vaccinated, the continuation of mask-wearing is highly encouraged when in the presence of others.
- Program participants should use the “Student Portal” on the UMW Health Center website to provide Covid vaccination records and other required documentation.
- In case you did not receive the first two email correspondences that have gone out, please find them below. Each correspondence contains information and updates regarding the summer experience.
Don’t forget! The STP experience will continue into the fall semester with part III of the college-success courses (i.e., EDUC. 102), personalized academic coaching, and various other program resources.
As always, if you have questions and/or concerns related to how the new plan may impact your decision to participate in STP, feel free to contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone, 540-654-1726.
Can’t Wait to Meet You,
Director, Student Transition Program
Welcome to the STP website!
STP is designed to provide year-long support to selected freshmen students as they adjust to new experiences and opportunities at UMW. In the program students learn strategies to adjust to the academic demands of college life, develop study plans based on their learning styles and build connections with faculty, staff and students.
Students invited to participate in STP begin with a 5-week summer residential program. During this time students live on campus with roommates and take college-level courses. This provides a jump start to life at UMW before the fall semester. The year-long support continues in the fall and spring semesters with credit-level college success courses, individual advising meetings, monitoring of their academic progress, and encouragement to engage in campus life.
We are excited to provide intentional opportunities and programs to help students experience a positive and successful 1st year at UMW.